1.30.2014

5 and 6 month roundup

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back here. My blank post has been staring at me for quite sometime now and I couldn't muster up the words. I've had a heavy case of mom brain lately and my short-term memory loss is at an all time high. I'd be lying if I said January hasn't been kinda crazy for us. We still are not in our new house and probably won't be for at least another month. I know it will be amazing when it is finished, but the waiting game is tough. As much as we enjoy temporarily living with my dad, we, as a family, need our own space. Who was I kidding when I said February 1st?! I should have known better--home renovations never work within estimated time criteria. All in all, I am just so grateful we will have a home we can call our own.

In the baby scheme of things, Luca had a scary outbreak due to an allergy from his oatmeal and so now we are back to rice cereal. He doesn't mind. I don't think our little butterball even noticed we swapped. Luca is now six months old and growing bigger and stronger everyday. Crawling will be coming soon enough and we recently got the ok to begin feeding him solid foods which I am ecstatic about (although from what I've heard,  I won't be so ecstatic about the new smells that are associated with the diapers as they bring with them a whole new meaning to "dirty"). I will be homemaking all of his food myself, so I need to gather up my supplies and get to it already, especially before the beloved squash goes out of season.

As much as I love watching him thrive and grow, I can't help but get sentimental. My baby boy is becoming more and more independent everyday and sometimes I feel like the past six months flew by in the blink of an eye. Though I thought I was relishing in it all as the time passed, I'm working harder now to walk a little slower, breathe a little deeper, and really take in the short time I have left of him needing me to carry him to get around, reaching him a toy, or supporting him as he sits up. One thing is for sure, I'm so in love with him and each and every stage has been a joy. Six months just might be my favorite, but then again I've said that each month for the past six, so don't take my word for it.

Speaking of eating real food, I myself have been trying my best to make healthy choices. I've been going with the 80/20 rule (80% of the time you stay strict to good choices and 20% of the time you splurge) and I'd say I'm doing pretty good. Even in areas where it's a splurge, I still try and make healthier picks such as dark chocolate over milk or wheat bread over sourdough. My eating habits are constantly evolving for the better--now if I could only motivate myself to get to the gym...although I am constituting carrying around my solid 18 pound six-month-old as some sort of work out. Sometimes I'll even do a few squats or lunges while he's in my arms. Hey, whatever you gotta do right?!

Well I hope the new year has been nothing but wonderful for the rest of you! Cheers to new beginnings and cheers to all of you for giving me this beautiful place of comfort to write, to share & to celebrate. Let's wrap it up with our five and six month favorites, hope you enjoy!

No comments: