9.12.2014

I think I am in friend-love with you....

I have a confession to make...I think I am in friend-love with you. With all of you, my sweet, loyal readers. Lately I have been doing a lot of deep reflecting on what makes me happy. First off, I am thankful for the internet, for my computer, for my blog. It is there for me when no one else is. I can open it up and write down all my thoughts and feelings and then I can press publish, save, or just throw it away it all together. 
I am thankful for my readers. I started this blog as a forum to keep track of my life, to talk about Lulu so I'd remember all the things I am feeling, and all I am experiencing with him as he grows. I didn't expect anyone to read it, but when I receive feedback, or comments, or even just views, it gives me a sense of fulfillment. Even if I only relate to one measly person, I feel happy. Sometimes I loath the era of technology as I feel that it's drawing people apart and building barriers amongst effective communication & in other times I am so grateful for the connections it has allowed me to make with people I would have never else met.
As I ponder the question what makes me happy, I seem to keep coming back to the answer of companionship--in all of its forms. I am happy to be a lover, a mother, a sister, a daughter, a granddaughter, a friend, a stranger...all of those things.
Luca and I made a trip to the Meditation Gardens in Encinitas a few days ago & every time I'm there I make an intention or find a focus. We walked around, stared out into the endless deep blue sea, and contemplated. I contemplated life, what living means to me, what I want out of this life, and how I want to live my life more meaningfully, treasuring time more, and reflecting more on what I am appreciative of. Luca contemplated which rock he wanted to take home as a keepsake.
    
    
    
   
    
    
We stopped at Whole Foods to get into some A.C. It was so humid out, I could have skipped out on a shower that night. Don't worry I didn't! I had remembered that our friend Sammy worked there, and we made our way to the seafood counter to see if he was working. Sure enough, Uncle Sammy was working! Slingin' shrimp and handling halibut, he was busy helping a few customers, but the moment he and Luca locked eyes, both were as happy as clams! Sammy is the absolute best! I  love the sign between them, "Pairs well with..." and I say Uncle Sammy pairs perfectly with Luca or anyone for that matter!
You know those people who just emit sincerity, positivity, and the best type of energy that you want to be surrounded with at all times? That's Sammy to a T. He reminds me of that bumper sticker, 
'no bad days.' Many people proclaim it, but few live it. I myself have to work on saying what I mean and living what I say. It seems to come so naturally to Sammy. It is a practice and it seems he's been practicing for so long, it just flows innately through him. He genuinely listens to what you tell him, and cares about what it is you have to say. He listens, really listens. He makes eye contact, never diddles with his cell phone, and engages in the conversation. He is present. He is here now. We can learn a lot from him and do every time we see him which should be way more often. I want Luca to be surrounded by energy like that. Everyone is always saying "yeah, we should get together more!" and when we don't we come up with excuses like "Oh we are so busy, traffic is killer, yadda, yadda, yadda..." and excuse my language, but all of that is bull shit. We have to make a more conscious effort to see those we love, the street flows two ways and everyone is busy, you have to legitimately make the time.  Sammy and Miles have known each other for the longest time, and Miles always has nothing but the best to say about him, he describes Sammy as a true gentleman, and that could not be more true. He's the best of the best, the creme de la creme and we adore him!
We had to stay hydrated  having the weather so intensely hot, and I have to say that I love the boon fluid sippy (found here)! I only use it with water, but It doesn't leak, has an easy spout for little mouths to drink through & holds a ton of water! I especially like how it looks like a mini canteen!
With steps upon steps, I knew I was in trouble. Luca proceeded to go up and down so many times with me holding his hands I started to think I would become paralyzed into the hunchback position, Quasimoto style. Once sweat started to pour off my forehead and give Luca a shower from above, I figured it was time we move onto some other pastime. 
Later on in our day we made a stop at St. Tropez, a local little french cafe and coffee shop, to meet up with one of my best and dearest friends, Stefanie. We caught up as best we could, with me chasing after Luca every two minutes. And then he decided to dunk like Jordan, his snacks all over the ground. At that point, all care went out the window, and I let him pick them up, feed them to me, and then proceed to eat them himself. I figured flu season is coming up and we could use a little immunity boost from good ol' mother nature. Stefanie has the best patience. I know I am a chaotic mess at times, and my thoughts veer here, there, and everywhere just like the Beatles sing, but she some how keeps up with it all and responds. She has the best, most thoughtful heart. I utterly adore her. As I get older, my close friends seem to be sifting away, getting fewer and fewer. I don't like to invest time in people who really don't have the time to invest in me, and with a baby, high-maitenence friends are a no-go. I need adaptability, and likewise I need to be adaptable to my friends as well. Stefanie is just that way. It doesn't matter how busy we get, we always find the time to meet and pick up right where we left off. People come in and out of your life at different times for different reasons. They come into your life when you need them most, and sometimes that is a lifetime.
We capped off our day by meeting up with who I consider my west coast Mother-in-Law, Gail. You may remember her from this post. She is like a second mother to Miles and has been such an influential figure in his life. Miles and her son grew up together and are just like brothers, they bicker, they tease, they share a ton of memories, but have nothing but pure love for one another. When I met Miles, she embraced me into her family just the same. Gail is from the east coast so she says it how it is, how she sees it, calls a spade a spade, and I've learned a lot from her in terms of mannerisms. I've learned it's okay to say what others are thinking, but no one wants to say--bravery, I admire her independence--she raised her son on her own, worked multiple jobs, and achieved her bachelors, credentials, and a double masters in mathematics. yes, we know she's a total beast! & I respect her work ethic, I need that kind of drive, I just know I have it in me! She works hard and plays harder. She indulges in only the best, is one of the most generous individuals I know, always taking care of each and every one of her people and every time I see her I am learning something new. She is literally and figuratively a teacher. On the job or off, her wisdom and nurturing just spans on forever. She treats Miles no differently than her own son, me like her daughter, and Luca like her grandson.  Gail has helped us in ways we could never repay, and we enjoy her company more than she will ever know.
How lucky am I? I am surrounded by so  many great people who love me, who look out for me, who appreciate me for me being for me and exactly who I am in this moment, people who support me in all I am evolving into, and people help guide me in directions that will only lead me to that place that makes me happy. I am a lucky lady.
Happy fall friends! I wish you all a happy weekend!
Were one day closer to fall!
Falleluja! xo.

1 comment:

Trisha said...

What a profound post, sweet girl! Love you to infinity and beyond. Life is full of those who love you and those you learn from. May your journey be one of peace and serenity! xo ;)