11.04.2014

Apple Picking & Welcoming November

 Last weekend we got up bright and early and headed up to Oak Glen, a cozy little mountain town famous for their apple orchards. I was loving the crisp cold air and colorful leaves scattered about (which is just what I needed to help me get out of the heat wave funk that had overtaken my beloved October). Usually things start to cool down around here by the end of September, but October had climates ranging from the mid to high 80s all the way into the high 90s. Summer was hanging on like grim death and I was ready to hack it with a bat. But the heat never stopped me from dressing up "fall-like," I just had to wear extra deodorant because my scarf had me sweating. 
My little sister came into town and went with us to Oak Glen before she took off to Italy for the week. I know, I'm jealous too. At the orchard Carlie helped Luca climb over pretty much anything not level with the ground (which is his current favorite activity) & she walked him through the pumpkin patch so Miles and I could have a little time together trailing behind. We mostly just watched the two of them interact and my heart melted.
Later in the morning, Luca found a cat along the trail and proceeded to yell "a-WOOF! a-WOOF!" at her. He sometimes forgets dogs and cats are different species. He knows what the "doggy" says as you can tell, and he knows what the "piggy" says to which he scrunches up his nose and breathes quickly in and out, but I suppose "kitty" and "piggy" sound too much alike because "meow" hasn't quite registered. Speaking of Luca repeating sounds & words, Miles lit up a fire in our fireplace tonight for the first time and then said to me, "Make sure Luca doesn't go anywhere near the hearth," to which I replied, "Duh!" Luca chimed in after me, "Duuuuuhhh!!!"--- Oops.
 Luca is communicating so much more often these days. His personality is blossoming more and more everyday and he continues to amaze me with how much he is learning day in and day out. He surprises me with the words he is saying, and the connections he is making. He hums the ABC's & he loves airplanes. Whenever he hears the hum of a plane's engine he points to the sky. He'll go to his bookshelf and pick out which book he wants to be read to him. Lately his favorites include Julia Donaldson's "Room on the Broom" and Jack Wang's "Huckleberry Finn." Both have been read at least 100 times now. What can I say? Lu's a creature of habit and he loves him a good story. I highly recommend both to Mamas looking for new books to add to their collections. "Room on the Broom" rhymes and has the cutest storyline while "Huckleberry Finn" is a word book with adorable illustrations and is an obvious classic. Lulu is searching for ways to become more and more independent which is totally beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. As cliché as it sounds, time is going by way to fast and I often find myself wondering how I can slow it down. All I know is I need to remain in the present, I need to be here now, and more often than not, I need to live on purpose.
Here's to a wonderful first week of November, my favorite month, hosting my favorite holiday, my favorite human's birthday, and also some wonderfully big news I have to share with all of you. I can't wait to show you what I have up my sleeve!
November constantly reminds us to be thankful and speaking for myself I couldn't be more grateful. I hope you're feeling grateful too ;) 



No comments: