11.07.2014

How to beat a cold with oil of oregano.

I know no one wants to hear about snot and kleenex again, but bear with me on this one because I have some very valuable information to share with you. Where do I begin? Well, if you're a routine reader of mine, you know I was sick two or three weeks ago, and if you are new here--welcome, and to fill you in, I was sick two or three weeks ago...It took a long time, but I recovered and was back in the game after a solid week and a half. And then, the unthinkable happened...Last Monday came & I found myself feeling like death once again. There was something all too familiar about the way I felt, yet one thing was different. I knew about something I didn't know two weeks ago and that my friends was when oil of oregano came strutting in like Beyoncé singing "Drunk in Love" [and Lord knows we all love Beyoncé].

I'll give you a little  background as to how I most likely became sick again. I have my theories. I actually started to believe the idea that my cold was a result of my attendance to a hot yoga class I took on Sunday (yeah, that's it, I think I'm allergic to working out). It could have also been the fact that I work in close contact with 100 teenagers day in and day out. I'm thinking it was my body detoxing from sweating profusely in yoga. My friend Sara convinced me to go with her and I went from a total lack of working out to a two and a half hour level 2-3 class (which I like to compare to never having practiced karate to to challenging a black belt). Maybe I'm just hungry, but I was looking like a Wetzel Pretzel...a salted pretzel with a muffin top. Why does everyone hate on the muffin top?! I love muffin tops & it's ok, I know you do too. I even know of a bakery in NYC called "Baby Cakes" that sells muffin tops because let's be real, the muffin top is the best part! Anyhow, somewhere along the way muffin tops got a bad rep and went out of style before I could even finish my maple bar for breakfast. I had to get rid of the donut around my hips and I did so doing the only logical thing I knew for certain would kick my behind back into its original perky position. So I entered a sauna and did vinyasa over and over again until my heels reached the ground in downward dog. It was torture, but it hurt so good. With a post-baby bod gravity can feel like your worst enemy & so when you feel like things are lifting and tightening, you keep at it girl! For those of you reading pre-baby bod, go get naked, look at yourself in the mirror and thank the sweet, sweet lord for those perky boobs, flawless skin,  and for not having to own a pair of Spanx

I regress. 
I woke up on Monday and I felt horrible. I suffered through the work day taking dayquil around the clock and still heeded no relief. I thought about calling in sick on Tuesday, but with an upcoming trip to NY planned I didn't want to use any more of my sick days if it wasn't completely necessary. I was feeling pretty low and pretty desperate at the same time. I remembered some barefooted, hippie-ish woman I had met at Trader Joe's a few weeks ago. She started up some small talk as I stared at the long shelf of soups and broths trying to decipher which one Luca would most likely eat. As I went to reach for the ginger miso, this woman nearly smacked my hand telling me to ditch the soup & buy a bottle of "oil of oregano." She swore up and down by the stuff and advised me to to put a few droplets in Luca's humidifier. I honestly spaced, forgot, and by the time I remembered & bought the goods, Luca was well again.
So on that brutal Monday, a lightbulb flashed atop my pounding head and I thought about what that beatnik had told me. She said, "Oil of Oregano, it's nature's antibiotic." I had nothing to lose, so I  scavenged it out of my cluttered medicine cabinet to put it to the test. I was so eager to see what all the rage was about. I first decided to do a little research on the stuff, to see what others were saying about it, make sure it was safe & to ensure I wasn't doing something totally stupid like the cinnamon challenge (if you don't know what the cinnamon challenge is, you tube it & waste 5 minutes of your life). I also had to make sure I wasn't gonna fall into some hypnotic state cause let's be honest, ain't no mama got time for that. What I did next was drop 4 droplets on my tongue and ZING! Holy Moly! Was this acid or oregano? The tincture is extremely strong and outrageously spicy. You'd better have a glass of water on standby because your tongue will feel like it is on fire. This stuff is no joke. It isn't the most fun thing to do, but the results are phenomenal. I kept at it and within 24 hours I was feeling 100%. I am so happy I gave it a shot, pun intended, and I am so happy I am able to share this amazing new life hack with you! On that note, I'd better get out of your hair so you can get your sniffly bottom into your car and head over to your nearest natural food store (If you'd prefer to buy it online or don't live near by a health store you can buy it HERE). 
Get feeling better quickly! But before I go I'll give you tips in regards to what I learned after using this oil myself and experiencing first hand my new favorite cold remedy.
  •  Use 4 drops 2-3 times daily when you feel a cold coming on, and continue to use until your symptoms subside.
  •  Have something other than water to chase it with. It tastes disgusting, I can assure you, but it is totally worth it!  (to put things in perspective: It feels like someone poured acid on your tongue and you can't rinse it off, but then 24 hours later you're a new person!)

  •  Do not overuse it. It is extremely potent and considered a medication. It should not be abused.    You should also consult with your doctor before using oil of oregano especially if you are taking other medications, nursing, or are pregnant/trying to become pregnant. The information expressed in this post is solely my opinion &  experience and should not be taken into consideration as if I were a licensed medical practitioner  No information within this context should be substituted or replaced in lieu of your family doctor's instructions and/or advice.
  • Expect to pay between 20-32 dollars for a small bottle. I know the price is a bit steep BUT it will last you a long time and I promise it's worth its weight in gold.
  • Are your babies sick? Put two drops of oil of oregano mixed with distilled water in their humidifier on night one, and only one drop on night two. Continue with the single drop until their colds are gone.
  • Oil of oregano isn't just for colds, it can be used for a plethora of issues. Read more about it HERE.

Have you ever used oil of oregano before? I'd love to hear about your experiences or trials with it, so share & comment below!



No comments: