12.07.2013

DIY Zinc Antrhopologie Letters

photo source: Antrhopologie.com

A while back I found these zinc letters from Anthropologie and thought they would make a great wall decoration for above Luca's crib. The problem is they run $18 a piece, and I (okay, my pocketbook) couldn't justify spending so much on something I may get tired of in the future. So what did I do? I did it myself! Don't get me wrong, I love Anthropologie and I love a good splurge, but this was something I knew wasn't worth the price.

My friends are always laughing at me because whenever I see something I like, I always claim I can make it myself, and 9 times out of 10 I can. This scenario was one of the nine and I was extremely happy with the end result. They look nearly identical to the real deal! And the best part...I got the zinc letters I so wanted and the entire project cost me less than the price of ONE of Anthropologie's letters. Plus, living in California, it's probably much safer that the letters are made of cardboard instead of metal in case of an earthquake (wow, am I a mom or what?).

I know there are a ton of tutorials online as to how to make these and they are virtually all the same with the exception of some suggesting you use paper towels to blotch on the pearl paint for a more rustic look. I personally like the brush look better. 
So if your like me, and want a quick and easy DIY project that comes out looking fancy like you spent tons of time on it but really only spent 30 minutes from start to finish, here's the tutorial:

Supplies:
Paper Mache letters from Hobby Lobby 
Folk Art Acrylic Paint in 'Pure Black' from JoAnn's
Folk Art Acrylic Metallic Paint in 'Pearl White' from JoAnn's
2 Sponge brushes



Lay out newspaper over your work area so you don't get paint everywhere. Begin with the black paint. Use one of your sponge brushes and paint each letter entirely with one light coat of paint. The black acrylic paint dries really quickly on the cardboard, which is really great. This allows you to get right to the metallic coat. 

When you're finished painting the letters with the black paint, take your second sponge brush and begin painting with the pearl paint. Use long brush strokes in all directions and don't worry too much about the black paint being exposed or it being totally perfect, this will give the letters that worn metal look.
Lastly, allow your letters to dry for about an hour before hanging. I used a standard drill to make small holes in the back to allow me to use nails to hang them. You don't have to hang them either, they look just as nice standing on their own, or lying flat on a coffee table. The decorating options are endless. And for the cheap price per letter, you can stagger them all throughout your house! I know I'm planning on it ;)




No comments: